Blackwell & Associates, Inc.
20 Teasdale Circle Nantucket, Massachusetts 02554 (508) 228-9026
Professional Land Surveyors & Civil Engineers
Nantucket Island, Massachusetts
BLACKWELL & ASSOCIATES, INC. was formed on January 1, 1993. Jeffrey L. Blackwell, President and Owner was a former partner with Hart-Blackwell and Associates, Inc. from April 1984 until December 1992. We are a Nantucket Island-based firm employing all year-round residents.
Blackwell & Associates, Inc. is a professional land surveying and civil engineering firm employing eight individuals. Our staff has two registered Professional Land Surveyors and Certified Soil Evaluators: Jeffrey L. Blackwell and Leo C. Asadoorian with over seventy (70) years of practical land surveying experience. Blackwell & Associates has professional affiliations with several other firms that specialize in environmental permitting with emphasis on endangered plant studies, groundwater hydrology & archaeology.
Blackwell & Associates, Inc. offers a complete range of professional surveying & civil engineering services required by municipal and private clients. Our firm employees highly skilled land surveyors and computer technicians using state of the art equipment including fully automated robotic total stations and a precision Leica RTK GPS system. Our OSHA certified field technicians are closely supervised by Registered personnel so that all projects meet standards that can be only met by many years of hands-on experience.
A majority of Blackwell & Associates’ clients have been with us for many years, which is an indication of the high quality work that our staff produces. We enjoy an on-going relationship with many off-island consultants who require our services for major mapping and design projects.
Our firm has been providing the following services: Boundary, ALTA, Topographic, Mortgage, Engineering, Aerial and Wetland Resources surveys, Wetland and Environmental permitting, Chapter 91 and Army Corp permitting, Subdivision, Storm Water Management and Site Designs, Septic System Design, Inspection, Soil Evaluations and Shorefront Protection Designs. We also work closely with Col-East, Inc., an aerial mapping firm to provide the most up-to-date mapping for any project.
The registered staff in the firm are members of the American Congress on Surveying and Mapping, National Society of Professional Surveyors, and the Massachusetts Association of Land Surveyors and Civil Engineers. We strongly adhere to the professional standards established by these organizations for all projects that we are associated with.
Representative Survey and Site Design Projects:
Blackwell & Associates, Inc. has provided survey and civil related services over the past 19 years to various Architectural & Engineering firms doing work on Nantucket. Listed below are some representative projects we have completed in the past and / or are presently in progress.
- Town Hall / Old Police Station Complex: Blackwell & Associates provided complete Surveying services for Brown Lindquist Fenuccio & Raber Architects, Inc for the Town Hall / Old Police Station renovation project.
- Pacific Bank (Bank of America) and United States Post Office Complex: Blackwell & Associates provided all surveying and civil design for the Sparks Avenue branch, mid-island office of Pacific National Bank (now Bank of America). Our site design integrated the future Post Office complex designed by Cullinan Endineering, which followed several years later. The design required the seamless connection of two separate parking lots and drainage systems with minimal disturbance to the Pacific Bank’s functions during construction. Blackwell also provided representation at various town boards for permitting of this complex.
- Cape Cod Five Cents Savings Bank: Blackwell and Associates provided all surveying and civil site design services for this Mid-Island (MIPOD) bank project. Working with Traffic Consultants and Landscape Designers this project is on the verge of Planning Bd. approval.
- Nantucket Human Services / D.Neil Parent & Steven M. Roethke Architects: Complete survey and engineering design services for housing project.
- Sherburne Commons Assisted Living Project: Blackwell provided original perimeter surveys, aerial topographic mapping, construction control and as-built surveys for this Housing Complex project completed in 2006.
- Housing Nantucket / Ford 3 Architects: Blackwell & Associates provided complete Land Court and topographic surveys and are presently providing complete Engineering Site Design services for proposed housing /office facility.
- Reed Pond Properties / Chase Circle Subdivision: Blackwell provided all property and aerial control surveys for this six lot approval required subdivision. We worked closely with Cullinan Engineering Co. to provide extensive field information for this complex development.
- Industry – Shadbush Road Industrial Park: Blackwell is working closely with Cullinan Engineering Co. on this Industrial Park project. We have provided all property surveys and local permitting agency liasions.
- Clough Harbor & Associates, Inc.: Blackwell & Associates provided complete survey control, construction inspections and soil evaluations for the Town of Nantucket, Nobadeer Farm Road Athletic Fields.
- Nantucket Police & Fire Station Complex / Kastle Boos Architects: Complete surveying services for Town of Nantucket municipal project.
- Nantucket Whaling Museum / A ּ Point Architects: local permitting, site design and surveying for the whaling museum reconstruction project.
- Great Harbor Yacht Club / Hart | Howerton Architects: Complete surveying services for the GHYC Project. ALTA , property line, hydrographic and As-Built surveys. Blackwell & Associates has provided all land surveying in conjunction with initial site designs and construction control for new structures and piers.
- Nantucket Yacht Club: Blackwell & Associates performed a complete property and existing conditions survey, along with a on-going hydrographic surveys of the NYC basin. Our office prepared base plans in preparation of Army Corp License plans of all NYC mooring fields within Nantucket Harbor. Presently we are completing Phase I Clubhouse surveys and FEMA Elevation Certifications.
- Small Friends on Nantucket School / CWA Architects: Blackwell & Associates provided all land surveying in conjunction with the construction for this school complex just completed.
- Nantucket New School / Maguire Group Architects: We provided all surveying and site design services for this private school complex Work included a sanitary sewer line extension design and permitting with the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
- Nantucket Lightship School / CWA Architects: Complete surveying services, construction control and as-built surveys were provided for this private school project.
- Nantucket Golf Club / Gage Davis & Associates Architects: Complete surveying services in relation to the design and construction of the new Nantucket Golf Course. Ongoing site designs and construction control for golf course upgrades and improvements.
- Miacomet Golf Club: Complete topographic survey, design of 135 car parking lot, and storm water mitigation facilities. Provide construction layout and supervision. Design of 6000 gpd replacement septic system for the existing Clubhouse. Blackwell also provided complete construction control for the 9 hole expansion and existing 9 hole course upgrade.
- Island Wide Aerial and Utility Mapping: Blackwell has exclusively provided aerial base & utility mapping for the Town of Nantucket’s Sanitary Sewer Consultants for the past 19 years. Such projects as the Siasconset Wastewater Facility, Surfside Wastewater upgrade and Sewer / Drainage rehabilitation projects were designed based on mapping provided by our firm. We also worked closely with the contractors constructing these projects to insure that layout and construction followed Design Plans.
- Dreamland Theatre: Complete property line survey, settelment monitoring, construction control, as-built surveys and Easement Plans for Theatre re-construction project in the Core District of Nantucket.
- Nantucket Memorial Airport Aircraft Rescue and Firefighting Facility: Complete construction control surveys and final as-builts of the new ARFF facilty at the Airport.
- Nantucket Memorial ASR –15 Radar System: We provided complete surveying and site design services for the state of the art ASR-15 radar system at the Nantucket Memorial Airport. Strict FAA requirements as to the orientation of system to centerlines of runways were met and approved by FAA inspectors which required advanced surveying techniques and prodcedures.
- The Woods Hole, Martha’s Vineyard and Nantucket Steamship Authority: Blackwell & Associates performed a complete existing conditions survey of the Nantucket Steamship Authority property in preparation of design upgrades proposed by the Authority.
- Nantucket Electric (National Grid): Complete property research, surveying and various permitting applications since 1993 on their Candle Street properties. These parcels make up a majority of the Wilkes Square Development site.
- Petrel Landing-Commercial Wharf / Nantucket Island Land Bank:
Perform full topographic and hydrographic survey for wharf reconstruction
and pier construction.
- Harborview Place Waterfront Residences/ Workshop/apd Architect: Complete surveying and engineering design services
- Sachem Path Housing Project: Blackwell & Associates is providing complete property, topographic and utility surveys for this proposed housing complex
References for above noted projects can be supplied upon request.